- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 (8 oz) container of sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of Chicken Broth or wine or sherry
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt or milk
- 6 slices of Muenster or Gouda cheese
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper,garlic and onion powder.
Add oil to frying pan and brown chicken in batches on both sides. You don’t need to cook the chicken completely. It will finish cooking in the oven.Transfer the chicken to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the spinach over the top
Add the butter to the frying pan and let it melt over medium high heat. Saute onion and garlic
Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and brown mushrooms until golden. Then add the chicken stock and cook for another minute or two. Add the creamy mushroom soup and sour cream/yogurt/milk and mix well.
Pour sauce over the chicken breasts and spinach, cover with foil and bake in oven for about 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and top each piece of chicken with one slice of Muenster cheese. You can fold the cheese in half if it is too wide for the breast.
Place chicken back in oven uncovered and broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
This dish goes well with rice or noodles or biscuits because there is usually extra sauce in the baking pan.