March 18, 2010

A visit to the ER (Warning Kinda long)

This last Sunday we went to the Crawfish festival down in St. Pete. It was a beautiful day and Makayla had been feeling kinda crummy the previous days but woke up Sunday feeling good so we thought she would enjoy being outside in the cool air and sunshine. She was in a pretty good mood on the way down there and seem to be enjoying her self- listening to the music and dancing, running in the open field and looking at all the people. She would not eat a crawfish but..she did finally touch one.

Makayla and Nenny
Then we went over to the boat show where it all went down hill from there! Last week Makayla was running a low fever but only in the evenings and it was low like 100.5 and under, so we thought it was her teeth. She had been kinda cranky but again "EYE Teeth" can really be hard to cut. Her fever got up to 105.5 at the boat show and she started to turn pale and kind of green then it seemed like she was having a hard time breathing. We left the boat show right away and rushed her to the ER. I had given her Tylenol in the meantime. When we got to the ER they took her temp and it was still 103.5. They gave her Motrin and did all kinds of test. They took chest X-rays, and blood, and urine and a strep test. When we left they said everything came back fine and that she had something viral and to let it run its course.

As a mom I was not happy with this answer but I said ok. The next day she seems a little better but that night up went the fever and she started to look like the pictures below again. So I was planning on taking her back to the Dr. the next morning. I knew this was something more then viral.

Tuesday Morning the hospital called and said she had a UTI cause by ECOLI in her urine! I took her to the Dr. first thing, where they took more urine and put her on an antibiotic. We are still waiting on the results from the urine test but Makayla is doing much better.

She still ran a low fever for the next few days but it getting back to her old self---playing, watching movies, eating and running around! It is so nice to have our girl back, and not have to see this sad face anymore!
How sad is that?
Laying in the hospital bed with her blanket "Mockie" as she calls it.
(she was starting to feel better)

Laying with Daddy!
She is still using the potty and has been dry for a week and a half. We even took our first trip out of the house with panties on and it was successful. Her big girl bed is working out great and we even redid her room. I have those pictures to share soon. She loves it!!! She climbs right in for her nap and bed time and stays in it all night or all nap. Bad thing though is she learned how to turn the door knob and open the door. She is growing up too fast!

We go back to the Dr. in 3 weeks for them to test her urine again and then she might have to have a procedure to check her ureteral reflux. But we will have to wait and see how the next week goes, I am hoping to avoid this for her sake.

Hope all is well with everyone! I will keep you updated the next few weeks on how things go for us!


  1. poor m!! Nobodys like to see their little one like this! You are such a good mommy Sheryl, Makayla is very lucky to have such good parents! She is too cute with her smile(even if it is in a hospital bed)! Hopefully she is on her way to a full recovery!

  2. Poor baby and poor mommy. That is so hard to see your baby so sick. I am glad she is feeling better and hope you get all the best results in the future.

  3. Poor Makayla! Those faces are the absolute saddest:( I hope she feels better soon.

  4. I am glad she is feeling better because those were pitiful faces. It's the worse when your babies are sick.


I love comments! I want to hear your thoughts