November 9, 2009

Tickle Your Taste Buds Tuesday

My Recipes from ME to YOU


Butternut Squash Soup

Wow is this soup easy and yummy. I made it for Halloween night and everyone loved it. I hope you enjoy this recipe, it is one of my fall favorites.

2 medium butternut squash
EVOO
Salt/pepper
1 medium onion
3-5 celery stalks
1-2 carrots
2-3 garlic cloves
Chicken stock or broth

Peel and seed the butternut squash. Cut into pieces and toss with EVOO and a little salt. Roast at 400 for about 30-45 min. depending on the thickness of your squash. it should be pretty soft.

In the meantime.....
Chop the celery, carrot, onion, and garlic.
Heat EVOO in your soup pot and add chopped veggies. After they cook for a bit I add my seasonings. I like to add black pepper, a pinch of sage, a tiny pinch of nutmeg, and a dash of cinnamon. I also sneak in a squeeze of honey. Once the veggies are cooked down and the squash is roasted add the squash to to veggies and stir well. I like to get the squash all coated with the seasonings.

Cook for a few minutes then add the stock to cover the squash and veggies and let boil for about 30 min. until the squash gets REALLY soft. Taste the broth for salt and add a little if you think it needs it.

Once it's all cooked turn of and let sit for a few minutes and then blend in the blender. ( I however do not have a blender so I do this in batches in the Magic Bullet. You can also use an immersion blender)
Blend until smooth!

Return to pot and let it simmer for a bit. The soup is now ready, However I like to turn it off and let it sit with the top on for awhile (maybe 20 minutes to an hour if you have time. I make it during M's nap so I put it in the fridge until it's time to eat) This soup also freezes really well!!!!
When I serve this I like to put a spoon of sour cream, blue cheese, goat cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds, bread chucks or crackers....dress it up however you like..using different add ins makes it a little different every time.

Do you have a recipe you want to share? Email me at slbower(at)gmail(dot)com, or leave me a comment below. I am always looking for new recipe ideas. Let me know if you try this one or you have a suggestion.Did you miss out on a past recipes? Just click on the picture at the top of this post or in the right side bar and you can see them all. Give one a try tonight there are some good ones! Make sure to check back every Tuesday for a new recipe and don't forget to let me know if you try one and what spin you put on to make it your own!

Would you like to guest post on my BLOG? Do you have a recipe you are itching to share? Now is your chance leave a comment below or email me and we can set it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I want to hear your thoughts